Travel requirements

This page provides information on traveling to the USA. 

All Travelers

Here is a list of the USA travel requirements. If you’re planning to visit, it’s important to make sure you have the right documentation.

All visitors must apply for a visa or Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) visa waiver to enter or transit the USA as a visitor. You should consult the US State Department website to determine which you will need.

You should be aware that if you have travelled to or been in Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen on or after 1 March 2011, you are normally not eligible for an ESTA visa waiver and will need to apply for a US visa.

If you’re fully vaccinated against COVID-19, most foreign citizens can enter the USA without any problems – but do check with your doctor first! The US authorities will accept any COVID-19 vaccine approved for emergency use by the World Health Organization or approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Anyone planning to travel to the USA should familiarize themselves with the new requirements on the CDC website before booking any travel.

All current visa holders based in the USA who leave the country and then re-enter will need to follow the vaccine entry requirements unless they have an exception. This includes students on F-1 and M-1 visas and those previously issued with an existing National Interest Exception. Further information is on the US Embassy website.

All air passengers to the USA must also provide their airline’s contact information before boarding. You should check with your airline before you travel for more details. Effective from Sunday 12 June 2022, the airline no longer requires pre-departure COVID-19 testing for USA-bound air travelers.

Upon arrival, fully vaccinated travelers:

  • do not have to quarantine
  • are recommended to take a viral test within 3 to 5 days of arrival in the US.

If you have recovered from a documented COVID-19 infection within the past 90 days (regardless of vaccination status):

  • you do not need to get a test 3 to 5 days after travel

If you are travelling domestically within the USA, individual states and territories may have their own quarantine requirements. A full list of local quarantine requirements is available on the CDC website. You should check the list frequently as it is likely to change, sometimes daily, as rates of COVID-19 transmission increase or decrease.

Proof of vaccination status

The USA will accept the UK’s proof of COVID-19 recovery and vaccination record and proof of COVID-19 vaccination issued in the Crown Dependencies. Your final vaccine dose must have been administered at least 14 days prior to travel. Your NHS appointment card from vaccination centers is not designed to be used as proof of vaccination and should not be used to demonstrate your vaccine status.

The CDC website lists the forms of acceptable proof of COVID-19 status. This also includes the European Union Digital COVID Certificate. Other accepted methods of proof include a printout of a COVID-19 vaccination record or a COVID-19 vaccination certificate issued at national or subnational level or by an authorized vaccine provider.

Alternatively, digital photos of a vaccination card or record, a downloaded vaccine record or a vaccination certificate from an official source (e.g. public health agency, government agency, or other authorized vaccine providers), or a mobile phone application without a QR code. All forms of COVID-19 status must have a personal identifier, at a minimum including full name and date of birth, that matches the information on a passenger’s passport or other travel documents. It must also include the name of the official source issuing the record and the vaccine manufacturer.

If you’re not fully vaccinated

Only those with an exception or US Citizens, US Nationals, and US Lawful Permanent Residents will be able to enter the US unvaccinated. More details are on the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and US Embassy websites, which include a list of exceptions from the vaccination requirements for certain categories of non-citizens and non-immigrants.

If you’ve had COVID-19 in the past year

If you’re not fully vaccinated but have tested positive for COVID-19 in the last year you still cannot enter the USA unless you meet one of the exceptions detailed on the an US Embassy websites.

Children and young people

Children 17 and under are exempt from the vaccination requirement.

For travel, the US definition of a fully vaccinated child is the same as the definition of a fully vaccinated adult.

After arrival in the US, children 17 and under that are not fully vaccinated may be required to attest that they will take a test 3 to 5 days and will self-isolate should any symptoms develop or if they test positive. A parent or other authorized person should attest on behalf of a passenger 17 and under. More details are on the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

If a child (17 and under) is travelling with only one parent or someone who isn’t a parent or legal guardian, you may be asked to provide certain documents at the border. For further information, see the US Customs and Border Protection website.

US Visa appointments

Due to the continuing impact of COVID-19, visa appointments at the US Embassy in London remain limited. Therefore, in making an application, you are strongly advised to plan as far ahead as possible before your date of travel. If you have an urgent need to travel, you can request an expedited interview through the US Embassy’s appointment service provider.

Further information is available on the US Embassy’s website.

If you’re transiting through USA

Those transiting through the USA will need to get a visa or an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) visa waiver. You should consult the US State Department website to determine which you will need. You must still follow the COVID requirements detailed above. All passengers must follow state and local COVID safety requirements.


Only those with an exception or US Citizens, US Nationals, and US Lawful Permanent Residents will be able to transit the US unvaccinated. More details are on the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and US Embassy websites, which includes a list of exceptions from the vaccination requirements for certain categories of non-citizens and non-immigrants.

Check your passport and travel documents before you travel

Passport validity

If you are visiting the USA your passport should be valid for the proposed duration of your stay. You don’t need any additional period of validity on your passport beyond this.

Check with your travel provider to make sure your passport and other travel documents meet their requirements.

The US Customs and Border Protection program Global Entry gets pre-approved travelers through border control faster at some US airports. If you’re a British citizen you can register to get a UK background check on GOV.UK. If you pass the background checks, you’ll be invited to apply for Global Entry.

UK Emergency Travel Documents

UK Emergency Travel Documents (ETDs) aren’t valid for entry into the USA or transit through the USA on an ESTA. If you’re planning to enter or transit through the USA using an ETD, you must apply for a visa from the nearest US embassy or consulate before you travel, which may take a number of days, or hold a valid lawful permanent resident card (often referred to as a ‘green card’), which you must have with you on arrival. UK ETDs issued in the USA are valid for exit from the USA.

Bringing medicines into the USA

There are restrictions and prohibitions on the import of certain prescription drugs into the US. The USA Food and Drug Administration website contains further information and advice on bringing medicines into the USA.

Traveling to the USA from Cuba

It’s possible to travel to the USA after you’ve been to Cuba. However, you may wish to take supporting documents about the purpose of your trip to Cuba in case you’re questioned by US immigration officials at the port of entry on arrival in the USA. If you have any further questions or concerns, contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

    Translate »